torstai 27. kesäkuuta 2019

How I got S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat to work on Devuan Linux

Introduction

This is a very short guide on how I got S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat to work on my Linux computer. I had bought them on Steam earlier, and thanks to Steam Play and Proton, it was very easy even though the game did not work out of the box.

Steam settings

Like in the previous post, it is necessary to enable Steam Play for all titles so that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. can be installed on Linux. It is simply a check box in Steam preferences, follow e.g. this guide.

After that the game can be installed, but it did not launch properly but crashed; A BugTrap window appeared with some magic numbers in it.

In this case the solution was simple. In the WineHQ AppDB page, there is some mentions about DX10 not being tested/not working, and the solution is to use DX9.

In the bottom of the README.md in Proton Github page, environment variables are listed. There is variables to disable D3D11 and D3D10. The game works perfectly with Proton (4.0 I think currently) as soon as those two are disabled. So add the following to the startup parameters of the games in Steam:
PROTON_NO_D3D11=1 PROTON_NO_D3D10=1 %command%

You can see the parameters in screenshot below:






After using these parameters, the game can be launched from Steam and works just fine (though I have not yet played very long...)

EDIT 7/2021: After two years I got back to this game and since then Proton has been updated many times. Latest version is 6.3-5 and the game did not launch with that. Changing Proton version for these games to 4.11-13 made the game lauch fine and it works properly. I only tried Clear Sky again so far.

Also I'm not sure whether ProtonDB existed when I wrote this article. The game pages for Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat have probably more information on how to get the games run and with which Proton versions and settings.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti